Every day counts, as regular attendance helps students to:
- develop and maintain friendships
- be more engaged at school
- progress with their learning
- be more aware of career and life options.
- develop a sense of belonging
Supporting positive school attendance is a shared responsibility - everyone has a role.
The School Attendance Policy sets out the requirements for the attendance of students in NSW government schools.
Attendance and absences
On occasion, your child may need to be absent from school. Justified reasons for student absences may include:
- being sick or having an infectious disease
- having an unavoidable medical appointment
- being required to attend a recognised religious holiday
- exceptional or urgent family circumstances e.g. attending a funeral.
Parents must provide an explanation for absences to the school within 7 days from the first day of any period of absence. Where an explanation has not been received within the 7-day timeframe, the school will record the absence as unjustified on the student's record.
Arriving at school and class on time
- Ensures that students do not miss out on important learning activities scheduled early in the day
- Helps students learn the importance of punctuality and routine
- Give students time to greet their friends before class
- Reduces classroom disruption
Lateness is recorded as a partial absence and must be explained by parents.
*all information above provided by NSW Department of Education.
What to expect at NVHS
Absent - whole day
An absent text will be sent through SMS Messaging, and a reply can be sent to explain why your student is absent. This method can only be used on the day of the student’s absence after the text is received.
*Please note: This number is a computer-generated number which changes randomly so cannot be saved and used on a daily basis as a means of communication.
To explain the absence:
1. Phone (02) 4329 3780 or email firstname.lastname@example.org before 10am on the day of absence with an explanation.
2. Reply to absent SMS message sent on the day.
3. Write a note explaining absence and hand into the front office. A Note to the Office
When your child is late to school after 8.15am, please send a note preferably on the day to explain why they are late, alternatively, phone or email the school with an explanation.
A student’s attendance at 8.15am is essential, this time is used to provide students important information regarding school activities and upcoming excursions etc. If the school hasn’t been contacted, an SMS will be sent to explain your student’s lateness.
Class - Period 1 to 5
Rolls are marked first thing every class, students will be marked in three ways:
A truancy report is monitored daily for late and absent students and followed up accordingly.
Parents/Carers can view attendance via the parent portal. For more information on the parent portal or to register, please click here.
A note needs to be provided on the day with students name, year, leaving time and reason clearly written. Upon arrival at school, students need to have this signed and approved by a Deputy Principal before roll call and handed into the office when leaving.
We understand on occasions, reasons for needing to leave early may arise, in this instance, please phone the school ASAP
*Please note: correspondence will be sent to parents where attendance is of concern, and these should be address immediately.
Application of Extended Leave - Travel
*Relevant travel documentation such as an e ticket or itinerary (in the case of non flight bound travel within Australia only) must be attached to this application.